Early in my college career I learned the importance of staple wardrobe pieces and classic pieces that will never go out of style. My school has this sort of neo-boho-chic style that can be fun and trendy for parties and such but I'm a huge advocate of putting your best foot forward when it comes to class attire. I have received a lot of extra well guided help from Professors and my mentor told me once that he chose me for certain projects because he felt I took myself seriously. I always came well-dressed and prepared for class and, he noticed. So, what I am saying is yes, people notice what you wear and how you represent yourself because if you can take care of yourself, you will most likely be able to take care of someone else's work.
If that isn't plus side enough, it always makes getting dressed in the morning SO much easier! I very much enjoy my time of sleep which is why I love having these go-to pieces that will work with pretty much everything else in my closet or worn together for a classic-chic ensemble.
Here are my recommendations for some classic wardrobe pieces:
1. Striped Cotton Shirt: This shirt has been around for ages. Looks great under a blazer or worn alone with rolled up medium wash jeans and a caramel colored trench. Channel your inner French girl.
2. White T-Shirt: Can't get anymore basic than this but finding the right white t-shirt is actually a bit more complicated. I find a lot of them tend to be too see-through and I'm very particular about my material. My favorite so far is the classic pocket T by T by Alexander Wang. The fit is nice because it's not too tight and the scooped neckline is flattering for any body shape.
3. The Chambray Shirt: I love this type of shirt. Not quite as heavy as a denim shirt but still mimics an effortless, easy look. (Layered on top of the striped shirt or white T looks trés chic)
4. Black Skinny Jeans: Oh what would I do with out my skinnies! These go with pretty much everything I own and can easily be dressed up or down. It is a must for every lady to own a pair. I have bought my favorite ones from currentt/elliott but Free People makes a great pair too that have a nice stretchy-ness to them that are extremely flattering.
5. The Ballet Flats: Black is the way to go. A simple design that will mesh well with the rest of your wardrobe. Like black skinnies, black ballet flats mix with basically everything and can also be dressed up or down.
6. Black Converse: It's a must to have shoes for running around and doing errands. I think basic flat top chuck taylors are the best. They are comfortable and look great.
7. Gold Watch: I personally love gold more than silver because of my skin tone but a nice watch is great to have. There are so many sizes, shapes, and designs but I would lean towards a metal or leather bang and a gold face. Very elegant.
8. Pearl Earrings: They look beautiful and are simple so you can wear them all day and into the night.
9. Structured Bag: There is nothing more that I love than a good hand bag. I love anything leather in black with a good structure. I carry a lot of stuff with me at all times so size really matters while not compromising the aesthetic. I'm saving up for this beautiful YSL bag but Coach makes some great classic pieces for more affordable prices.